Friday, January 18, 2008

My name is Kathy Burton

My name is Kathy Burton and I would be be honored if you would consider me for Trustee #2 on Tuesday, April 1st.

I have grown up in Caledonia and am now raising my children here as well. Caledonia to me means family, friends, and community. It is the place that I call "Home".

As much as I love Caledonia, it is not without its challenges. This year staff positions had to be cut to maintain our budget. If we do not aggressively pursue commercial development to help ease the burden on the taxpayers, I fear that we may be facing not only cuts in staff, but services as well; or an increase in our taxes to maintain the services that we do have. It's time to be proactive before we are forced to be reactive.

I firmly believe Caledonia should be an affordable community in which to raise a family! As a fiscal conservative, I will never raise taxes simply for the sake of raising taxes, but will work to keep taxes low. To achieve that end, my focus will be an aggressive campaign to attract responsible commercial development as designated in the Land Use Plan which will not only add to the taxbase, but provide jobs. It is also essential that sewer and water services are extended to the I-94 corridor - sooner, rather than later.

I will work diligently to communicate and connect with the community. Since most of our Park and Recreation programs are financially self-sustaining, I would like to see us enhance and expand those programs to serve as an avenue to community involvement.

I will work very hard to do my homework so that I can bring a fair, balanced, common sense approach to make the best decisions that benefit ALL Caledonians.

I am very excited at the prospect of serving the Village and working hard for its residents to make Caledonia a great place to LIVE, WORK and PLAY!

In closing, I would like to let you know that I will be expanding on these ideas in a series of posts yet to come, so check back often and feel free to leave comments or questions. In the meantime, I would like to say, "Thank You" to all readers and I'm asking you for your vote on Tuesday, April 1st.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cal_Boy Says

We are pulling for you 100%.

Good Luck, we need a person like you on the board because you care about Caledonia and the pepole living here.

Anonymous said...

Kathy, you are a refreshing candidate.

Promise not to represent special interests; show up to meetings on time; and do what is in the best interest of your constituents.

That will make you "head and shoulders" above your opponent!

You go, girl!

Anonymous said...

Camping World was a joke. They were shopping around to see who would give them the best deal. Gas prices have sent RV sales through the floor. If they had managed to get a building up by now, it would probably be sitting empty.

Kathy Burton said...

Anon,
Thank you for your comment, but I disagree with you about Camping World.

First of all, as an avid camper I can tell you that the rise in gas prices has not kept my family from camping. We may not go as often as we would like to go, but we still go camping.

Secondly, Caledonia needs commercial development.Camping World isn't here, but what have we replaced it with?(nothing) This is a regret that I've heard President Coutts and Trustee Wishau express at CDA meetings.

Lastly, Camping World must be doing O.K.. I see their T.V. commercial advertising their new 6,500 sq. ft. building in Chicago vitually every day.

I still think that Camping World was a business worth having here, but they are gone, they're not coming back, and we have to move forward. If you have any ideas about worthwhile responsible commercial developments for Caledonia, I would be open to hearing them; and I would encourage you to attend Caledonia's CDA (Community Development Authority) meetings as well. They need, and would like involvement and input from the community.